Food in Hampi
A typical menu of a vegetarian North Karnataka meal in Hampi
- Roti/Bhakri - It is bread baked on fire or iron skillet and made flat by jowar flour. Bajra and Wheat flour is used as substitute.
- Badane Kaayi - Brinjal stuffed with dry stuffing of ginger, ground peanut, garam masala, garlic, sesame and salt and then sprinkled onion and other spices.
- Shenga/Ellu chutney - It is a form of powder or dry chutney made of ground peanut or sesame.
- Ranjaka - It is also called Kempu chutney is a paste of red chilli and is consumed as a condiment
- Kosambari- it is dish with dal and cucumber and carrot fresh
- Bele Kaalu - Split or whole sprouted dal or kadale or masoor , cooked greens such as methi, spinach with sauted onion ginger , garlic and other spices.
- Mosarubajji - It is also called raitha , usually served with the meal and has yoghurt.
- Raw Salads - all vegetables like greens spinach, carrots , cucumber etc
- Anna - Boiled rice
- Saaru - a soup made of coriander, cumin, tomatoes, pepper and tamarinds
- Happala - Pappad
- Mosaru - It is also called Majige, or curd
- Benne Tuppa - Butter or ghee
- Raw green vegetables
Although the meals differ in from different regions a typical Kannada meal includes all the above and it is served in a particular order on a Banana Leaf starts with Salt, kosambari, Pickle, Palya, Goju, raitha, Dessert, Thovve , Chitrana rice and ghee. After the ghee is served all can start eating then the major part f the food is served like rice, saaru, Majige, Huli kootu . Gojju or raita is served next; two or three desserts are served; fried dishes such as Aambode or Bonda are served next. The meal ends with a serving of curd rice.
Since Hampi is known for the religious places non-veg is difficult to get as it is also known as the temple town Delicious Thali at the open "Mango Restaurant " and the lassi offered there is the best in Hampi. There are a lot of row benched restaurants in hampi which offer good hot and fast south Indian dishes like idli and dosa at reasonable prices and hot and a great chai to end the taste. Once if you cross the river with the ferry boat you can get non- veg food at its best.
International Cuisine in Hampi
The Italian, Chinese and Japanese and continental food are mostly served in big restaurants or hotels in the city. Prawn curry and chicken curry are the favorite dished of the non-veg crowd. Fishes are also the primary demand of the visitors of Hampi. The dal roti chawl of the north Indian food is also available.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 1